Posted inInsurance

HO-2 insurance

Vintage old house in fresh snow

Key takeaways

  • An HO-2 policy is a type of homeowners insurance that only covers damages caused by perils specifically named in your policy.
  • An HO-2 typically covers 16 named perils, including damage from fire and lightning, windstorms and hail, and theft.
  • HO-2 policies may be cheaper since they offer less coverage, but you may be opening yourself up to extra risk.

An HO-2 policy is one type of homeowners insurance. Also known as a broad form, this kind of policy provides financial protection for your home, detached structures and personal property, in addition to liability and additional living expense coverage. It differs from an HO-3 policy — the most common policy type — because an HO-2 policy protects your home on a named-peril basis, as opposed to an open-peril basis. Depending on your insurance needs, an HO-2 home insurance policy could be right for you. Bankrate’s insurance editorial team has put together this guide on what homeowners should know about HO-2 insurance to help you decide for yourself.


Compare rates and save on home insurance today!

ZIP code

Close X

Advertising Disclosure

This advertisement is powered by, LLC, a licensed insurance producer (NPN: 19966249) and a corporate affiliate of Bankrate. The offers and links that appear on this advertisement are from companies that compensate in different ways. The compensation received and other factors, such as your location, may impact what offers and links appear, and how, where and in what order they appear. While we seek to provide a wide range of offers, we do not include every product or service that may be available. Our goal is to keep information accurate and timely, but some information may not be current. Your actual offer from an advertiser may be different from the offer on this advertisement. All offers are subject to additional terms and conditions.

Compare home insurance rates

Answer a few questions to see personalized rates from top carriers.

Your information is kept secure

Caret DownCaret Up

Caret DownCaret Up

Field is required

Powered by (NPN: 19966249)

Insurance Disclosure, LLC is a licensed insurance producer (NPN: 19966249). services are only available in states where it is licensed. may not offer insurance coverage in all states or scenarios. All insurance products are governed by the terms in the applicable insurance policy, and all related decisions (such as approval for coverage, premiums, commissions and fees) and policy obligations are the sole responsibility of the underwriting insurer. The information on this site does not modify any insurance policy terms in any way.

Quick Facts

average savings through Bankrate
Two Thirds

2 out of 3 homes
are underinsured
Insurance Home

1 out of every 20
insured homes makes a claim each year
Circle Check

100% of homes
need insurance before getting a mortgage

Leaving so soon? Your custom quotes are just minutes away.

What is HO-2 insurance?

There are four different types of insurance available for traditional homeowners: HO-1, HO-2, HO-3 and HO-5. Each policy type offers varying levels of protection, and plans with more robust protection tend to cost more. An HO-1 policy offers the lowest levels of protection. On the other end of the spectrum is the HO-5 policy, which gives you the most protection of the various coverage forms. However, either policy type typically comes with requirements your home has to meet.

HO-2 policies are a step up from HO-1 policies, but do not offer as much coverage as an HO-3, which is the most common type of homeowners insurance policy. Like other home insurance policies, HO-2 insurance is comprised of several standard coverage types, including:

  • Dwelling coverage: Covers the home’s structure, such as the roof, walls, foundation and any attached items, like a deck or garage.
  • Other structures coverage: Covers detached structures like sheds, fences, detached garages and in-ground swimming pools.
  • Personal property coverage: Covers your belongings, such as clothes, furniture and electronics.
  • Liability coverage: Provides financial protection if you are found at fault for injuries or damage to someone’s belongings that occurs on your property
  • Additional living expenses coverage: Provides temporary living coverage in case your home is not liveable due to a covered loss

HO-2 vs. HO-3 policies

The main difference between most home insurance policies is not what they cover, but rather how they cover your property. In home insurance, unforeseen damaging events are known as perils. The various components of home insurance policies are covered either on a named perils basis or an open perils basis. In general, named perils will cover only perils, such as fire or wind, specifically named in your policy. An open perils policy protects you against any loss unless the peril is explicitly listed as an exclusion, such as damage caused by flooding or earthquakes.

An HO-2 insurance policy covers homeowners on a named perils basis. This means that your policy will only cover damage to your home, detached structures and personal property caused by a peril that is specifically listed in the policy. If your home is damaged by an occurrence that is not specifically listed, it will not be covered. An HO-3 policy, on the other hand, offers broader protection by protecting your dwelling and other structures on an open peril basis:

HO-2 coverage type HO-3 coverage type
Dwelling Named perils Open perils
Other structures Named perils Open perils
Contents Named perils Named perils

Additionally, most HO-3 home insurance policies include some level of medical payments coverage, which helps if a guest is injured in your home. HO-2 policies do not usually include this type of coverage.

HO-2 coverage

Now that you know that an HO-2 policy only covers specifically named losses, you may be wondering exactly which perils HO-2 policies cover.  An HO-2 policy typically lists 16 named perils, including:

  • Fire and lightning
  • Windstorm and hail
  • Explosions
  • Riot and civil commotion
  • Damage caused by aircraft
  • Damage caused by vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Falling objects
  • Damage caused by the weight of ice, snow or sleet
  • Accidental discharge of water or steam from a household appliance or a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or sprinkler system
  • Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning or bulging of a steam or hot water heating system, air conditioner or sprinkler system
  • Freezing of a household appliance or plumbing, heating, air conditioner or sprinkler system
  • Sudden and accidental damage from an artificially generated electrical current

What do HO-2 policies exclude?

Like most home policies, HO-2 insurance typically does not cover flood and earthquake damage. Other exclusions may include:

  • Water damage caused by sewer or drain backups
  • Nuclear accidents
  • War
  • Mudslides and landslides
  • Sinkholes
  • Mold
  • Pests like rodents or termites
  • Power failure
  • Damage as a result of neglected maintenance

Some homeowners insurance providers offer the ability to add optional coverage types to your policy with riders, also called endorsements. You might be able to add a rider to cover mold damage or sewer backup damage, for example. Coverage for flood and earthquake damage could also be added as endorsements, if offered, or you may need to purchase separate policies for these damages.

Frequently asked questions

    • Some home insurance providers offer HO-2 insurance, although most companies typically only offer HO-3 policies. If you are looking for an HO-2 policy or want to compare policy options, you can start by getting quotes from multiple home insurance providers.
    • Like all home insurance policies, the amount you will pay for HO-2 insurance depends on several factors, including the age of your home and specific features of your house, where you live, how common natural disasters are in your area and more.

      The best way to find a policy to fit your budget is to obtain quotes from several companies. Comparing your quotes with the average home insurance costs in your state may help you decide if a policy is the right fit for you.

    • Generally, policies that offer less protection — like HO-1 and HO-2 insurance — are cheaper than policies with more expansive coverage options. You may pay less, but you will also be exposed to more financial risk.

      If you are unsure how much coverage you need, talking to an insurance professional may be a good idea. An agent can help you evaluate your specific needs and guide you to a policy that provides the best financial protection for your unique situation.

      Learn more: Affordable home insurance companies

    • There are several perils not named on an HO-2 policy that are also excluded on an HO-3 policy. Perils that are typically not covered by either policy include earthquakes, floods, mudslides, war and owner neglect. If you want these perils covered, you may need to purchase additional coverage. Some perils may not be covered by any provider, but talking with an insurance agent could help you determine if coverage is available.
    • That depends on your priorities. If you are looking to save money on your premium, you might find that an HO-2 policy is better suited for your needs. However, it’s something of a double-edged sword: if you choose an HO-2 insurance policy to save money, you could wind up paying thousands more out of pocket if your home sustains damage from something other than a named peril. An HO-3 policy offers you broader protection from a wider selection of perils, but the added protection will likely come with a higher premium. If you’re debating between the two policy types, it may be worthwhile to set aside some time to chat with a licensed agent.

[wpcc-script type=”application/ld+json”]

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *